Saturday, September 1, 2007

Lubov

There are a lot of things I love in life, but Ukraine is one of the "things" I love most. Why?











The history is incredible. Nature. Museums. I love the people. I love the food.










I love the pace life moves at, whether in the city or in the countryside. I love the old traditions of the people and the superstitions that people still pay attention to, even though they don't really believe them.










Somehow, even just walking through the streets doing absolutely nothing is entertaining. On the weekends, a big square in the center of town, Kreshatik, shuts down completely. People through walk the streets talking, listening to music, and watching street performers. Somehow, there is always something to do.

I also love that Ukraine is finally getting a temple.
The temple was announced in 1998, while I was a missionary in Dnepropetrovsk. After nearly ten years, ground was finally broke last month. This temple, which is scheduled to be completed in September 2009, will be the first LDS temple in the former Soviet Union.

2 comments:

cropstar said...

so cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have recently been called to serve a mission in Kiev! I have enjoyed viewing your pictures and hearing about a Ukraine they don't write about in travel books! Message me on myspace if you'd like to give me some Ukrainian missionary tips!