Sunday, July 6, 2008

Lviv

Kristin and I went to Lviv for the weekend with Bogdan and his girlfriend, Taniya. It's a five hour drive and the bad roads made it seem more like 15 hours, but we thought it was worth it once we finally got there.


On our way we stopped at Olesko Castle.


I've been to Lviv a couple of times, but this time was different. We rented a gorgeous apartment in the center of the city. Spacious. Clean. Jacuzzi. The apartment was so nice, we considered staying in Lviv permanently.

The view from our balcony:



We didn't take a tour and weren't in a rush, so we just wandered through the streets looking at things and taking pictures. We sat in cafes, listened to live music, and found unique souvenirs.


I love the different colored buildings in Western Ukraine. It reminds me of Poland.





People in Western Ukraine are usually more friendly, too. They to be more religious than the rest of the country. Some stores are actually closed on Sundays. There are different kinds of churches all over the city.

Armenian Church
Bernadine Cathedral

Dominican Cathedral
Of course, we went to this nice, pink LDS church.


The Opera House, where we watched part of "The Merry Widow". (It was in Ukrainian and a little LONG, so we left after the first act.)


Even the fire station is beautiful.


Ukraine. It's just a beautiful place. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanne!
I am waiting for more updates! I'm sad you can't load any new pictures. When I looked at your posts I got so jealous that I wasn't still there.

Jess said...

Jeanne,
I am so jealous, but glad you are having a wonderful time. It is beautiful and I hope to go there someday. And, you're right, it does look like Poland.